Below are the minutes for the May 13, 2008, general meeting of WSIC. It was held 7:00-9:10pm in SLC 2134/2135.
Why are you here?
- went around the room asking people what brought them to the group
- mainly people thought that open information just makes sense; it's something everyone should have
- many people wanted to work on open educational resources
Open education resources
- read over minutes from last meeting to recap
- Peter: we should focus on finding information during the Spring term (ie. why haven't we adopted Open Access policies yet? (asking administration))
- Adrian: we should talk to the board of directors to get them to make a statement promoting Open Access on campus
- Peter: the Arts faculty is starting to use OOXML as standard in courses; this is causing lots of problems for people that run non-Microsoft word processors or not the latest Word
- Stephen: there are good screen readers for HTML, not many for other formats
- Sean: will talk to OPD person about open formats
- Denver: what are our priorities?
- Chris: information gathering, particularly surveying
- Stephen: focus more on open licenses or open formats?
- Peter: it makes more sense to have open licenses first
- consensus seems to be that we should work on open licenses
- Stephen: we should have a survey to give to students at clubs days
- what people know about open educational content
- what people think about it (after they've been told about it)
- Peter: a page has already been created for organizing survey questions (action plan); this won't be used for clubs days survey (see below instead)
- Denver: we should decide on some questions for the survey during this meeting
- purpose: to get a general idea of students' knowledge of open content and how it relates to education
- Have you heard of Wikipedia?
- Did you know that anyone can legally print pages from Wikipedia and sell them without paying Wikipedia any money?
- What would you think about being able to freely view a video of any lecture at UW?
- What would you think about everyone in the world being able to do the same?
- 7pm Tuesday, May 20, 2008, probably in this room
- Chris opens
- Leo takes over at 12:55
- Stephen takes over at 2:20 and closes
- Sean will show up at sometime
- Sean opens
- Chris will give breaks 9:30-10:30, 11:30-12:30
- Stephen will be around